Reports to: Plant Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Engineering Manager is responsible for care and maintenance of all buildings, equipment and property owned by Great American Snacks, Inc. a subsidiary of McCain Foods that fall under the control of Great American Snacks. Design, develop, and manage mechanical processes, conveyance and pumping systems including service generation and distribution, for plant operations and expansions using state-of-the-art technologies..
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Acquire and negotiate project contractor bids.
- Assist in the development of new installation techniques and standards.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent.
- Conduct employee appraisals and evaluations.
- Develop or revises standard operational and working practices.
- Develop, plan, and administer departmental budget.
- Ensure adequate staffing and training of new employees.
- Ensure forklift operations are in accordance with company policy.
- Evaluate new process technologies to improve existing systems and resolve process and safety problems.
- Fills in for maintenance manager in their absence.
- Interface with engineers to define project scope requirements and incorporate corporate standards.
- Manage capital projects to meet deadlines and budgets. Identify and effectively utilize project resources.
- Manage release of design input to suppliers (contractors, component suppliers, etc.).
- Manage technical documents provided by suppliers.
- Manage the resolution of technical issues identified by suppliers.
- On-site Requirement – Must perform duties onsite.
- Oversee the design and review of equipment and systems using corporate standards.
- Perform supplier site visits to ensure compatibility of equipment designs with current plant configurations.
- Play a coordination role for fire and safety processes. This will require liaison between Insurance brokers, carriers, facility staff and Finance department staff.
- Prepare project tender documents.
- Produce site visit reports, contractor job meeting minutes, project material listings, purchase orders, installation schedules and preparation of any other documentation relating to installation of systems.
- Provide technical assistance to processing facilities, to improve quality and efficiency.
Responsible for the following departments:
- Processing Maintenance
- Electrical Maintenance
- Packing Maintenance
- Planning Department
- Boiler and Refrigeration
- Stock Room
- Work closely with Corporate Engineering work stream.
- Work with finance, production, and safety to develop justifications for capital projects and prepare the Requests for Capital Expenditures (RCEs) in a timely and accurate fashion.
- Other projects/duties as assigned or needed
- Supervise all personnel and activities within area of responsibility.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each job duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering mechanical or electrical preferred.
Required Length & Type of Experience:
- Incumbent must have a minimum of two years engineering experience directly related to food processing.
Required Certification, Licenses, Registration:
- Professional Engineering License preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 36 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; extreme heat and risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions; extreme cold and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Great American Snacks, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer providing a drug free work environment and a commitment to Diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, non-job related disability or veteran status.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Apply Now (English) Aplica Ya (Español)